I decided to explore as many countries as possible around the world and create my vegan version of their desserts. This is my take on the Scandinavian bread called ‘Pulla’ or ‘Bulle’. It’s soft and fluffy like a brioche, but the flavour is infused with cardamon. I hid some dark chocolate chips inside each braid, to make my loaf playful.
1 cup almond milk, luke-warm
2 tsp dry active yeast
1/3 cup cane sugar
4 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
2 tsp cardamon powder
2 tbs linseed mixed with 8 tablespoon water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
For the filling and top
100 g dark vegan chocolate chips
2 tbs sliced almond
1 tbs melted butter, vegan
1 tsp cane sugar
1. Pour the milk into a large mixing bowl, add 1 teaspoon of sugar and yeast and let it rest for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, ground the linseed finely and add 8 tablespoon water.
3. Once your yeast start ‘foaming’, sift the flour in and add all the remaining ingredients. Knead the dough firmly until it becomes smooth and comes clean from your hand and bowl. Proof until double its size.
4. Knock out the air from the dough and divide into 3. Roll into chubby snakes and flatten them a little bit. Sprinkle the chocolate chips into the middle of your ‘snakes’ then close the dough over them.
5. Braid them and place them into a greased loaf tray. Proof for one hour.
6. Brush some melted butter gently over the top, sprinkle with sugar and almond.
7. Bake it in a preheated oven on 175 C degree for 40-45 minutes.